Old 08-11-2005, 01:50 AM
mm

Default Fresh Start vs. Sta-bil

On Mon, 07 Nov 2005 22:16:01 GMT, "Toller" wrote:

Never used Fresh Start, or even heard of it for that matter; but the idea
seems stupid.
You don't need the drip thing during mowing season, and you don't want it

Two reasons for the drip thing during mowing season.

1) You never know when you'll stop mowing, either because you have a
heart attack or you get a new mower, even though you already have one.
So you're *always* ready for the end of the mowing season. Remember,
insurance will pay for treating the heart attack, but it won't pay for
repairing the lawn mower.

2) Some people would rather put the stuff in every tank of gas than
have to remember to do anything at the end of the season.

Not saying these are good reasons, but since I got two working mowers
(out of 6) I can't decide which one to use each time. The one that is
in front of the others, or the other one for a change. Or which one
I'll try to fix next. Or when the end of the outdoor mowing or
repair seasons will be. So I put Sta-bil in all the gas tanks,
probably cost less than a dollar total, and I don't have to think
anymore.

during storage. So when would it ever be useful?

I store gas in my generator with Sta-bil in it; starting it for 5 minutes
once a month. It gets progressively harder to start until I change the gas
after a year.

Interesting.

On the other hand, I have never put anything but gas & oil in my weedwacker,
lawn blower, or chain saw, and have never had any trouble starting them;
even after a year of no use. Maybe 2 cycle is less sensitive to bad gas?

I wouldn't be surpirsed. IIUC, it's not that the gas is bad. It's
that it leaves gum in small apertures. Maybe the oil prevents that.
Maybe it's the oil in 2-cycle mixtures that gave them the idea for
Sta-bil. Just a guess.

Remove NOPSAM to email me. Please let
me know if you have posted also.