Old 07-11-2005, 09:53 PM
Bob Hobden

Default Garden pond

"Tumbleweed" wrote ...

That was going to be my advice as well. FWIW, noticed all the fish
seemingly active near the top of my pond today so put a bit of food in and
they ate it all, pretty unusual for November.

I tend to feed mine (sinking winter food) unless the weather is going to be
very cold for a while but it's not advice one should give to a novice or
inexperienced fishkeeper as undigested food rotting in the gut of a fish is
lethal come spring. For Goldfish which are never that big there is usually
enough live food in the pond if they are hungry.

Not so sure about a cleanout in spring, I tend do do mine every 3 or 4
years,and do it in early winter so I dont disturb frogs and such.

I too do mine in late autumn early winter to get rid of as much leaf litter
as possible but I also do a thorough job (the 4 filter tanks as well, filthy
job) come spring to get the pond ready for the coming "hot" season. :-)

--
Regards
Bob