Old 08-11-2005, 12:06 AM
Janet Baraclough

Default shrub ID please

The message
from "Rupert" contains these words:

Must admit that I thought they might be Skimmias but did not dare to argue
with Kay or Janet.

That's silly, Kay and I are not infallible..and don't mind admitting
when we are wrong.

If they are skimmias then they are not the ordinary common ones cos the
leaves are far too light.

Skimmia leaves also tend to be outlined slightly lighter than the
rest of the leaf. I think the ones in the photo look too shiny and
variable-width for skimmia..but just right for a seedling of
rhododendron ponticum, especially that slight red where the leaf joins
the stem The first leaves tend to be narrow then later ones broaden. Rp
seed themselves around like weeds.

Janet