Old 08-11-2005, 10:10 AM
michael adams

Default OT email problem

"Sacha" wrote in message
.uk...
In the last month I have had 3 emails returned as undeliverable, even

though
the addresses to which I am replying are not spam-trapped (apparently) I
am using 'reply', too, not 'compose', so I don't understand this and it's
not a problem I've had before. Has anyone any ideas as to why it's
happening? I'm using Apple's own email program for my iMac.
--

Sacha
(remove the weeds for email)

The problem is most likely with a server somewhere along the line
between you and the recipient, or with the sender (see below), not
with you or with the software that you're using. Some of the servers
either at your end or at the recipient's end may suffer temporary
overload, and so just bounce everything back as a failsafe. In which
case it may be worth trying later.

If you've repeatedly tried to send messages to the same recipent
without any success, then there should be some indication on the
full message path which you should be able to print out, as to
where the trouble lies. Or there should be an option to show the
full message path at least.

The bottom line is that if you're successfully sending emails
to other poeople doing what you're doing right now, then the
problem is unlikely to lie with you, or the software that you're
using.

The only thing I can think of, is there could be a flag set in the
original message which, when the recipient chooses the reply option
prevents them from replying to it. This is only guessing but it could
be a useful feature, to prevent unwelcome emails, or emails from Spambots.
Which the people who are sending you the messages are using inadvertantly.
So the problem may lie with them.

A way around this - if the above isn't total nonsense that is - would
be to Copy and Paste the address - and your message into a New Message
or "Compose" window. Rather than using the Reply option to actually
post it. The problem may lie in your using "Reply" in other words,
rather than the other way around.

So to get everything in, including the message you're responding
to, choose "Reply" to message as before, do everything the same
up to the point where you send the message - and instead open a new
message or "Compose" window, and copy and paste the address and message.
But only the text of the message - including what they wrote - but not
anything else which might contain the flag. Which might be just one
letter in the message header- a "/b/" or something.

If that works, then tell the recipient what has happened and that maybe
they need to change something their end. But as I said that's only
a guess.

michael adams

If its a #5.3.0 error then

There should be some in