Old 08-11-2005, 09:03 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

Default OT clearing jackdaw`s nest

The message k
from Sacha contains these words:

I really do hope you are NOT going to allow someone to chisel large holes,
or any holes, in the chimney of an old house like that, however. Sounds
very dangerous to me in terms of the fabric of the building and the future
use of the chimney. Jackdaw nests that have blocked your chimney cannot be
pulled out a stick at a time through a hole that will admit a pair of hands,
either!

Should be quite safe as long as the chimney isn't a free-standing one,
but it's knowing just where the nest is. Without measuring from the top
you're unlikely to know, and in any case, a house that old tends to have
a fair height of chimney above the roof level, so I wouldn't think an
assault from the loft would be rewarding.

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/