Old 08-11-2005, 10:39 PM
Janet Baraclough

Default Jackdaws to Buzzards

The message
from Kate Morgan contains these words:

I am told that there is a albino buzzard around here, must go and look
for it, will make a change from Jackdaws :-)

Interesting. I've sometimes seen young albino (or part albino) birds
of other species, but they never last long; too easily spotted by
sparrowhawks etc. An albino buzzard , being much larger and stronger,
should have a longer lifespan :-)

Yesterday while we had breakfast, we watched a buzzard kill a hare in
the field next door. Its mate and their chicks (two hulking teenagers,
as big as the parents but not as dark yet) zoomed in and pranced around
on the ground waiting to share the feast. Eventually, the youngsters
managed to grab a bit and dropped it into dense gorse behind a wire
sheep-fence. They got into so much hysterical trouble trapped behind
the fence scrabbling for their lost treasure,, I had to go and fish it
out before they damaged themselves. It was the two back feet of the
hare, connected by a very long sinewy strip :-(

Janet