Old 09-11-2005, 04:46 AM
Steve

Default apple question ......

Kate wrote:

Pan Ohco wrote:

Kate wrote:

Thank you Steve,
I was afraid I'd hear that. Oh well, I guess I will have to be
happy with my oranges, lemons, figs, papaya and tangerines. All
new to me . I am also, from the north. An apple would make a fine
salad though. Can't have everything. I would love to grow some nuts.
Maybe I'll settle for that next. I haven't heard of anyone growing
apples around here. The reason I decided to check with you good
folk. many thanks, Kate

Kate, I did a little research.
Go to your local state ag extension service on line, and find out the
number of chilling hours in your area.
If they don't give a list of fruits with their chilling hours, go here
http://www.aces.edu/pubs/docs/A/ANR-0053-F/

hope this helps.

Pan Ohco

I appreciate your help so much. I will book mark the site, too. We are
not only in a drought here but the nights are still hugging 70 degrees.
About ten degrees higher than normal for this year. I believe I will
wait for a better time to venture into apples down here. Especially the
gravensteins, that are my favorite ones. Thank you again for taking the
time to check details and research for me. Kate

Gosh, you sure can't say that people didn't try to help you with this
one! I think we're going for the thread length record here. :-)

Steve