Old 09-11-2005, 01:05 PM
Ray

Default tomatoes are a fruit!

Can someone tell me what differs between a vegetable and a fruit?

"John DeGood" wrote in message
news
Susan Erickson wrote:
The problem is more apt to be that you have fruit close to the
plant. The ethylene gas that ripens fruit also ripens buds.

I've always kept apples, bananas, melons, peaches, pears, etc. far away
from my plants, but in recent weeks I've suddenly experienced serious bud
blasting on many of my orchids. I've never had this happen before.

Last month before the first frost I picked all the remaining tomatoes in
my garden and set them to ripen on a kitchen counter that happens to be
right next my orchid shelves. Until a few moments ago I always thought of
tomatoes as vegetables: after all, one grows them in a vegetable garden.
Susan's post just made me realize my terrible blunder: tomatoes aren't
vegetables -- they are fruit that produce ethylene to ripen.

I'm posting this so others hopefully won't repeat my stupid mistake.

John (I can't believe I did that!) DeGood