Old 09-11-2005, 07:44 PM
linette linette is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by H Ryder
I've got some things in my garden which I think are hellebores but they are
much bigger than teh ones I'm now seeing in garden centres. They are the
same shape but eh stalks are about a foot long with correspondingly sized
leaves. Are these hellebores? If so how will they go about flowering? There
are some big bud like things developing near the base of the leaf stalks.
Will these sprout flowers or will they just spring up separately somewhere?
Thanks

--
Hayley
(gardening on well drained, alkaline clay in Somerset)

it may be a hellebore, there are a few different types available, the largest one is helleborus argutifolius, with lime green flowers, see its details at the link below,

http://www.applegategardens.co.uk/ac...utifolius.html

another commonly found hellebore is helleborus foetidus, similar but with mor cut leaves.

have they flowered whilst in your garden? it may give a clue as to waht they are...

if they are hellebores, the big bud thing you describe (and hellebores do have these) will develop into next years shoots, and will flower next winter, so dont cut these off!! once they have finished flowering, carefully cut the shoots that have flowered right off at their base, as low as you can go with a pair of secateurs

hopefully of help,

linette