Old 09-11-2005, 04:21 PM
K Barrett

Default orchid care

wrote:
Hi All,

I just got a beautiful pahalenopsis. It is in bloom and has buds.
Some of the buds are turning brown. Is my house too dry? Would a
humidifier help. Please tell me what I can do to save the other buds.

Thank You!

This is common in orchids given as gifts. These orchids are purchased
in a store where they are subject to a variety of temperatures and
drafts. These temperature fluctuations cause the bud damage which
generaly appears a few days after the purchase and subsequent gifting.
The new owner then thinks they've done something "wrong" when really its
all the store's fault in improper handling. All that has happened is
that the store placed the plants in a highly visible location to enhance
the sale of the item - usually by the front doors where blasts of cold
air damage the buds.

There's really not much you can do about the plant's handling in the
past. There's really not much you can do to save the previously damaged
buds. The flower spike may branch for you or extend its length and grow
new buds acclimated to your home's conditions. Keep it out of drafts
from heater vents or air conditioning at your home. No, not all plants
have this happen to them. Sometimes you can time your purchase to when
the store gets these delivered so the 'time in store' period is lessened.

K Barrett