Old 09-11-2005, 06:16 PM
Liz

Default Do plants lower the pH?

All,

My water's pH is 7.4 and as stable as the day is long (have a
not-planted tank and the pH never fluctuates - this is the pH out of
the tap).

Recently, I got a 6 gallon tank, and put some plants in with a
boat-load of Flourite for a substrate. After a day or so to let the
tank settle, the pH in this tank was 7.1 or 7.2. I haven't added
anything else to the tank (except a betta) - no store water, no
chemicals other than AquaSafe to treat for chlorine, etc. Could the
plants do this? Or the Flourite (seems like it would do the opposite)?

Anywho, I'm keeping an eye on the pH to make sure it doesn't crash, but
wanted to know if this was a known reaction with plants or if I should
be watching for something else...

Thanks,

Liz