Old 09-11-2005, 03:18 PM
Mike

Default OT clearing jackdaw`s nest

"La puce" wrote in message
oups.com...

Kate Morgan wrote:
I am an OAP and I dont think I could knock the skin of a rice pudding -
not really that feeble and I would eat the rice pudding skin especially
if it were burnt - but thank you for your concern and interest, it will
be local builder and raiding the piggy bank I think :-)

Hello Kate. My 4 pennies worth ....

My builders just left last week end after 6 weeks doing my loft. I live
in a edwardian house 103 years old 3 storeys and we had 3 velux in, 2
large windows from roof to floor level and we're really happy. However,
please call someone in to be with you when the builders come around so
that another pair of ears can understand what needs doing and explain
the job at hand. We're just over 3 thousand pounds on our budget
because of 'these little extra things' like chimney mortar turning into
dust as soon as you touch the bricks. Didn't sound like a big deal -
but it costed us a lot.

These birds of yours might cost you more than you might have in the
piggy bank. I was surprised at the amount the contractors wanted!! Good
luck.

I wholeheartedly agree with you, but would add the proviso that 'everything'
is done to a quote and a written one at that. Yes I am well aware that
'hidden' things can be found when a floorboard is lifted or the wallpaper
taken off an old wall, but even there, a written quote should be provided
and a reputable builder/decorator/plaster/electrician/plumber will be happy
to provide one, and Kate, do you know the difference between a quote and an
estimate? Please excuse me if you do, but a quote is a fixed price and an
estimate is variable and by no fixed amount. ALL of the jobs I have done are
on a fixed quote and none of them have been over budget. New roof, new
kitchen in a new place and another room made from the old kitchen, all
windows replaced with double glazed ones, full central heating etc etc. BUT,
ALL of the work is done by local reputable tradesmen and craftsmen, many I
know socially and have worked with on other projects. That is why I
emphisise the local man, who is well established. Now the experts who have
done it before will rip me to shreds :-))

Carry on. YOU have the last silly word

Mike