Old 09-11-2005, 04:25 PM
Sacha

Default hellebores?

On 9/11/05 11:22, in article , "H
Ryder" wrote:

I've got some things in my garden which I think are hellebores but they are
much bigger than teh ones I'm now seeing in garden centres. They are the
same shape but eh stalks are about a foot long with correspondingly sized
leaves. Are these hellebores? If so how will they go about flowering? There
are some big bud like things developing near the base of the leaf stalks.
Will these sprout flowers or will they just spring up separately somewhere?
Thanks

We have some with leaves on long stalks like that and they vary as to
flowers. Some are in bloom now and have pink and whiteish green flowers on
the same plant and some are showing only leaves but later will have greeny
yellowy flowers. All these bear flowers that come from the ground, through
the leaves, and are shrubby hellebores, AFAIK. Others have the florescence
in the middle and on top of the leaves and are through now, too. They do
seem to be rather promiscuous plants, leading to some very interesting
hybridisations!
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk