Old 09-11-2005, 04:27 PM
Sacha

Default Jackdaws to Buzzards

On 9/11/05 16:11, in article
, "Sue"
wrote:

"Sacha" wrote
An inevitable and delightful corollary, IME. Over the six or seven years
I've known this place, I've seen some considerable changes in bird life
and one of them was some huge screeching noise in the wee small hours
about four nights ago. Ray didn't hear it but it frightened the hell out
of me! I imagine a barn owl? We get Little Owls here but this is a new
event and makes us wonder if it will drive the Little Owls away.
Certainly, their visits are few and far between now and that really does
upset me because that lovely, daft, hoo hoo thing of theirs in the middle
of the afternoon is truly beguiling.

Ah just what I wanted to know! I sometimes hear the screeching owl-calls
at night around here, but this afternoon there were a couple of those
ghostly hoo-hooing calls and I was wondering what sort of owl might be
abroad at that time of day.

Humph - well I hope you haven't got ours. ;-) I love them but they haven't
been around that much this year, while the screeching type is new to this
garden and normally lives about a mile away, we think.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk