Old 09-11-2005, 06:03 PM
Phil L

Default Any idea which plant?

"john" wrote in message
If you look in the News Group alt.binaries.clip-art
you'll find a photo of a pretty plant . Its named DSCF0007
Is anyone able to name this plant which appeared in my greenhouse
- behind my tomatoes - this year?

I've taken off a few seeds to grow on, and I intend
cutting back the stem shortly,and perhaps transplant
the roots in a pot in a protected area.

I'd appreciate a name, and any advice that you
may be able to proffer.

NB: I posted the photo on that particular NG
because it's the only one I know where I'll
not be abused for placing something off subject.
Is there a NG which deals with gardening binaries?

It's a thorn apple or datura, all parts of it are toxic and merely touching
it can give you trips like LSD, looking at those pictures, I don't see any
'apples', there should be thorny hard fruits somewhere...Some of the other
names the plant goes by a Mad apple, apple of Peru, devil's apple,
devil's trumpet, devil's weed, stink weed, jimson weed, jamestown-weed,
malpitte, moonflower and witch's thimble.

see here for more details:
http://www.gardenorganic.org.uk/orga...weed.php?id=82

or go to google and type in datura