Old 09-11-2005, 06:57 PM
Ian Keeling

Default Blue Lake Beans

I grew this variety of french climbers for the first time. They taste
good - fresh or frozen.
Strangely, half the plants have produced flat beans with a wavy edge. The
remainder are the rounded type.
The seed packet is Fothergills', generic style with no pics. Is this usual
for B.Lake? TIA

Bertie

I know everyone seems to be telling you that this isn't normal, but I
noticed something similar when I grew Blue Lake for the first time last year
(seeds from Suttons) and wondered what was going on. Some fruits seemed
distinctly flatter than others - more like runner beans in cross section
(though not quite as flat). I wasn't too worried about it, though as they
cropped well enough.

I grew them again this year, but didn't notice such a variation (but only
had 5 plants, so that may just have been a matter of chance). These 5 plants
yielded 2.8kg (which seems good to me, though I expect there'll soon be a
chorus of responses asking how I managed such a poor yield!) - still a few
to be picked, but I've more or less given up on them now, despite this
Indian summer!