Old 09-11-2005, 08:00 PM
Nick Maclaren

Default Any idea which plant?

In article ,
Phil L wrote:
"Kay" wrote in message

merely touching
it can give you trips like LSD,

Are you absolutely sure of that?

Yes, with the emphasis on 'can'.

Really? I think that you have been taken in by an urban legend,
or perhaps tabloid sensationalism.

It is an EXTREMELY common plant in much of the world, and would
cause havoc if that were true. While toxins can be absorbed through
the skin, merely touching it will not transfer enough to cause any
significant effect, even in sensitive people. If you have any RELIABLE
information to the contrary, please post it.

I believe that the source of this myth is that you can be affected
if you are cutting it down or otherwise handling it in a way that
you get a significant amount of sap on your skin. In that, it
doesn't differ from quite a lot of poisonous plants.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.