Old 09-11-2005, 09:19 PM
Kenni Judd

Default tomatoes are a fruit!

Steve: The scientists/botanists/etc. and all sensible folks agree with
you -- tomatoes are fruit. But here in the US, they are by decree of the
Supreme Court, a vegetable ... which of course doesn't mean they don't
produce ethylene G. Kenni

"Steve" wrote in message
John DeGood wrote:

Susan Erickson wrote:

The problem is more apt to be that you have fruit close to the
plant. The ethylene gas that ripens fruit also ripens buds.

I've always kept apples, bananas, melons, peaches, pears, etc. far away
from my plants, but in recent weeks I've suddenly experienced serious bud
blasting on many of my orchids. I've never had this happen before.

Last month before the first frost I picked all the remaining tomatoes in
my garden and set them to ripen on a kitchen counter that happens to be
right next my orchid shelves. Until a few moments ago I always thought
of tomatoes as vegetables: after all, one grows them in a vegetable
garden. Susan's post just made me realize my terrible blunder: tomatoes
aren't vegetables -- they are fruit that produce ethylene to ripen.

I'm posting this so others hopefully won't repeat my stupid mistake.

John (I can't believe I did that!) DeGood

Well, you've finally settled that "vegetable or fruit" debate once and for
all! (not that I ever had any doubts)

You know... I have often brought in dozens of ripening tomatoes in the
fall (not this year) and they were stored a few feet away from some of my
orchids. I never gave it a thought before now either. Did I experience bud
blast? Not really. Maybe on some Dendrobiums, but that was on 2 unhealthy
plants that didn't have the energy to bloom anyway. Do tomatoes produce
even close to as much ethylene as apples? I doubt it. Do they produce
enough to blast orchid buds? I have no idea but I wouldn't be surprised!

Steve