Old 09-11-2005, 08:43 PM
Joseph Meehan

Default Old gasoline

z wrote:
Joseph Meehan wrote:
George E. Cawthon wrote:
FDR wrote:
I have a couple of gallons of old gasoline, probably at least a
year old. I suppose I could dispose of it properly, but I was
wondering of it could be "revived" somehow or used instead?

You will get all sorts of answers, possibly
because of varying conditions but often due to
blind prejudice. First 1 year old is not a
problem, 2 years old means be careful, 3 years old
means be really careful and the best advice is to
dump it. If the container is full or nearly, if it
wasn't subject to high or warm temperatures for
the entire period the gas will be in much better
condition that stored in a 1/2 full can and at
higher temperatures.

If it really is about 1 year old just added a
gallon of it at a time to 18 or more gallons of
gas in any vehicle.

George has it right. My suggestion is to add a little at a time
to your car's gas tank. Only do this with a nearly full tank in the
car. No more than a gallon at a time, I would use less. Diluted
like this will be safe for your car.

Today's gas is better than that of years ago so it will last
longer before going bad, which it does just a little at a time.

Yes and no... the advent of in-tank electric fuel pumps for fuel
injection, which are not prone to vapor lock, has led to the
refineries leaving a lot of the real light fractions in the gasoline
that they couldn't in the past, so that they evaporate out more. In
fact, older evaporative pollution control systems from the early 80s
and such get maxed out by current fuel. Whether that would be a
problem for a lawnmower with no fuel pump is dubious, of course.

True, but evaporation is not ... well in some cases it could be, the
problem of old gas. It is the chemical reactions within the gas that is the
usual problem.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit