Old 10-11-2005, 12:43 AM
Justin

Default The Barr approach and Red Brush Algae...

Thanks for all the help folks!

Prior to reading Tom Barr's post, I did a 50% water change, removed all the
affected leaves (as per advise from the krib) and dosed 5ml of my traces. I
have since had to dose 5ml of my traces 2 days later as Fe levels have
dropped. after my partial water change last night of 40 litres, I did full
tests and my Phosphate has gone down .05, Nitrate is still 10mg/l and there
has been no further growth on the algae and the plants are looking a lot
healthier.

I have now increased my CO2 levels, my PH probe was slightly off
calibration, so my CO2 levels were at 14ppm, not 30 as i thought, so this
has also been adjusted - Thanks Tom for the heads up.

As for my PMDD, it appears that 5ml every couple of days is going to be the
way to go, not 1.5ml every day as per instructions on the Krib. I am
concerned with the Fe content in my trace element mix though as it say FE as
chelater, not Fe... I know there have been many, what you could almost call
arguments on the Krib re chelated iron, do I have to worry about this?

Once again all, thank you, you have all saved my BBA problem over night.

justin.

wrote in message
ups.com...

On 2005-11-06, Justin wrote:
Nitrate currently 10ppm but is usuall 5ppm

You may have excessive nitrates relative to your other nutrients...

http://tinyurl.com/7zyye

That is not it. Excess nitrates do not cause algae if the other
parameters are in good ranges.
I've attempted to induce algae and even at over 100pm of NO3, no algae
was ever induced in repeated experiments.

It's CO2 and CO2 and CO2.

Add more till the BBA stops growing.
EI simply isolated the and provided enough nutrients for the plants and
the light is fine so all that's left is the CO2.

pH/KH measurements cause problems for folks.
I use that as a starting point, then you add progressively more CO2
till no positive impact is achieved by adding more CO2.

This must be done ___slowly__.

Regards,
Tom Barr

www.BarrReport.com