Old 10-11-2005, 12:30 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

Default Any idea which plant?

The message
from "gentlegreen"
contains these words:

/snip/

When I say "edible", these things make me nervous - like the garden
huckleberry that looks very like a wild nightshade that used to spring up
all over my allotment ...

The wild one's black nightshade, and is eaten on every continent except
Antarctica.

I gather pounds of the berries most years (on adjoining farmland, beside
sugar beet crops, mainly) and make nightshade pies with them. Not very
different from blueberries, though I sometimes add a small amount of
tartaric acid as they're rather bland otherwise.

I tend to munch a proportion of them as I pick them too, but you
shouldn't eat anything but the ripe berries of Solanum nigrum though.

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/