Old 10-11-2005, 12:58 PM
Kate Morgan

Default unrotted manure

snip
I used to have a wonderful book called (IIRC) The Untidy Gardener. The
female author said that she asked a young friend to clear out the stables
one day and he forked the manure straight onto her flower beds. All she
could see were her precious plants waving feebly at her from below several
inches of horse dung. She was absolutely certain they would all be 'burned'
and would die but all survived and came back as if on steroids!

well worth the risk I guess maybe we gardeners worry too much. Talking
of Steroids, not long ago I had a huge muckheap, one of the horses was
on strong painkillers and when an organic gardener came along wanting to
take all the muck heap away, I was tempted to say nothing but I did the
decent thing and explained the situation and used it on my own flower
garden.
kate