Old 10-11-2005, 01:20 PM
Sacha

Default Jackdaws to Buzzards

On 10/11/05 12:22, in article
, "Jaques d'Alltrades"
wrote:

The message k
from Sacha contains these words:

Thanks, I'll do that. We're not at all sure where the Little Owls nest but
we have a lot of trees in our garden and bordering the lanes and fields
around us, so it could be anywhere around here. A plantation about a mile
away is thought to be the home of the Barn Owls.

Heaven knows what barn owls did before barns, but that's their preferred
type of site. I had one nesting in the vent at the top of my red brick
threshing barn, and another in the cart store on the other side of the
holding.

Little owls like cavities which are accessible via a hole, such as
hollow trees, and even burrows.

Burrows?! I had no idea they might ground nest so all the more reason to
keep an eye on the digging dogs!
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk