Old 10-11-2005, 05:24 PM
Marilyn

Default Geraniums Over Winter

South-central PA
"Doug Kanter" wrote in message
It's highly unlikely it would not survive outside, but given the lack of
information about WHERE in Pennsylvania, that's all anyone can say.

"Marilyn" wrote in message
nk.net...
Thanks to all the folks who responded to my question. There are lots of
similar ideas here and I'm sure I can adopt one or more to my situation.
Some may not be quite as appropriate to the region where I am but most
are, I think. I'm in Pennsylvania, so I suspect a potted plant would not
survive outside but I may be mistaken.--Marilyn
wrote in message
oups.com...
I have just started an evening class and we have talked about Geraniums
over winter. They should be cut to 1 to 2" obove soil and pot them
together as this is better than small single pots against frosts.
(Don't forget we are told we are going to have one of the worst winters
in last 10 years.) Water once then leave them - do not keep watering
them.

In spring cuttings can be taken of these and start watering them. If
you are keeping them indoors it may be too warm for them to stop
growing, need the light so near a window and not too warm a spot.

Will Renkel wrote:
some years ago I kept one geranium in a pot over winter.
kept it alive...
no flowers but lots of leaves.
In spring I planted it in ground.
Over the winter it grew to about 18 inches high
Well, it sooon lost most of its leaves, but lots of new shoots came up.
By mid summer it wa 3 feet high and at one time had about 50 flowers on
it.
I got old photograhs, but they are very faded so not on WEB.
So yes, it can be done.

Will Renkel
Wheaton, Ill.
REGISTERD Linux User: 300583