Old 10-11-2005, 08:04 PM
Doug Kanter

Default Geraniums Over Winter

"Lee Smith" wrote in message

"Doug Kanter" wrote in message
"Marilyn" wrote in message
ink.net...
South-central PA

That would be iffy. If you'd be heartbroken to lose the plant, get it
inside.

By the way, here's a map of planting zones:
http://www.blossomswap.com/zone.html

In the future, it would help to be specific about your location and
planting zone. Pennsylvania's like NY - a mix of zones based on terrain,
proximity to water, etc.

It's two zones. So tell me which zone of the two will allow geraniums to
overwinter outside?

Zone 5 - lows from -10 through -20 degrees

Zone 6- lows from 0 through - 10 degrees.

Actually, there are areas along the northern border near Western NY which
behave like zone 4, but you're not there so never mind. :-)

Neither one, unless you have absolute confidence in a certain area around
your house that's already a "mini-climate" of its own. For instance, you
might find that on the East side, near your foundation, certain things
survive which are not supposed to be hardy in your zone. I wouldn't risk it
with a prized plant, though.