Old 10-11-2005, 03:00 PM
simy1

Default How cold must it get???

wrote:
Despite very warm temps here in the St Louis Area.. (on border of zone
5-6) Last night at 2:00 AM it was 70....I know the frost is coming
soon. I am a rookie fall gardener. I am prepared to cover with
plastic my:
Broccili
Cauliflower
Cabbage
Brussel Sprouts How cold would this be necessary??? Also will
light frost kill the lettuce? Thanks Joe Mc

All these will take 20F without dying. In fact my kale and collard take
10F without dying. Light frost will typically not kill the lettuce, but
it depends
on the type of lettuce and how established it is. I plant hardy lettuce
in august
and overwinter it under cover, where it, too, takes down to 5-10F
without dying.
In spring it is ready one month before the spring-planted lettuce.