Old 10-11-2005, 06:48 PM
Cereus-validus-...........

Default red berry or seed?

Looks like a fruiting stem of a Barberry (Berberis).

http://images.google.com/images?q=Ba...=Search+Images

The fruit is by definition a berry.

wrote in message
oups.com...
Hello all,

I took this photo of what appeared to me at the time to be red berries,
but now I am not sure and am interested in finding out exactly what
they are.

http://gallery.photo.net/photo/3837077-lg.jpg

Each red "berry" is oblong and is only about 1/3 inch long. Usually
hanging off in groups of 2, 3, or 4 and they have little knobs on the
opposite end of where they attach. I found them in little patches
usually nearby the base of sugar maple trees near the south shore in
Massachusetts, USA.

I believe they had pasty insides. I took a couple home, and after
drying out, I find they have a single small black seed inside.

Thanks for any help!
-Tom