Old 10-11-2005, 02:10 PM
La puce

Default Blue Lake Beans

Jaques d'Alltrades wrote:
I grew them again this year, but didn't notice such a variation (but only
had 5 plants, so that may just have been a matter of chance). These 5
plants
yielded 2.8kg (which seems good to me, though I expect there'll soon be a
chorus of responses asking how I managed such a poor yield!) - still a few
to be picked, but I've more or less given up on them now, despite this
Indian summer!

It wasn't a good year for beans with me, either. I think I must have
grown three times as many on the same number of palnts as I did last
year.

I've done well on broadbeans this year )
I'm akshually really really happy because I have a 2sqm thick clay bit
at the end of my plot and for 2 years I had done nothing on it.
Desperately at the last moment I had forked in lots and lots of manure
that my neighbour didn't want. I thought I would 'sacrifice' some broad
beans and the result was amazing. We eat them raw - and they were the
bestest I have ever eaten. I just wish my grand ma could have tasted
them. However, I won't do runner beans ever again. I had so many, so
stringy, so 'orrible - the flowers where very huge and were very
pretty, but the beans, even the young ones, were not to our taste.