Old 10-11-2005, 04:32 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

Default Jackdaws to Buzzards

The message .com
from "La puce" contains these words:

We've just finished doing our loft a couple of weeks ago and I got
concerned we wouldn't be visited by the owls anymore. We're still
unsure exactly where they nested, because we found lots of bits, bones,
feathers in a minute little space. It's amazing the tiny space they
use! They were not there last year, at least I didn't hear them, but
the year before I could here them coming in and out but hooting loud
and clear. I think they'll come back because we've left 1.5m width from
our first partition wall and the insulation walls. I wanted to put up
boxes but we thought we'd give them instead the whole run of the roof
edges )

If you put up a ½m × ½m platform with a lip of something like 1" × 1½"
(sorry to mix systems) and they do get in, they'll like that, especially
if it's near the peak on a gable-end.

*SOME* light is necessary though: they are unlikely to nest in total darkness.

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/