Old 11-11-2005, 01:00 AM
Lee Smith

Default Geraniums Over Winter

"Doug Kanter" wrote in message

"Lee Smith" wrote in message

"Doug Kanter" wrote in message

"Lee Smith" wrote in message

"Doug Kanter" wrote in message

"Lee Smith" wrote in message

"Doug Kanter" wrote in message
"Marilyn" wrote in message
ink.net...
South-central PA

That would be iffy. If you'd be heartbroken to lose the plant, get
it inside.

By the way, here's a map of planting zones:
http://www.blossomswap.com/zone.html

In the future, it would help to be specific about your location and
planting zone. Pennsylvania's like NY - a mix of zones based on
terrain, proximity to water, etc.

It's two zones. So tell me which zone of the two will allow geraniums
to overwinter outside?

Zone 5 - lows from -10 through -20 degrees

Zone 6- lows from 0 through - 10 degrees.

Actually, there are areas along the northern border near Western NY
which behave like zone 4, but you're not there so never mind. :-)

Neither one, unless you have absolute confidence in a certain area
around your house that's already a "mini-climate" of its own. For
instance, you might find that on the East side, near your foundation,
certain things survive which are not supposed to be hardy in your
zone. I wouldn't risk it with a prized plant, though.

So you were wrong when you first posted this advice?

Not really.

I didn't expect you to admit it. (that's why you snipped your re-posted
bad advice)

Perhaps I assumed too much about you.

Right. Never assume people won't recognize bad advice.

"Doug Kanter" wrote:
It's highly unlikely it would not survive outside, but given the lack of
information about WHERE in Pennsylvania, that's all anyone can say.