Old 11-11-2005, 12:28 AM
Daniel Morrow

Default Emergency Koi Problem

Bottom posted.

- - --
You can find my public key at https://keyserver1.pgp.com
"Carl Beyer" wrote in message
I sure hope this group is still alive......

My 500 gallon pond is near a sprinkling control for the house.

Last
night, around 4 or 5 AM it burst, and ran city water into the pond

for
about 3 hours at least.

We caught it, but my mosquito fish are all dead. The big Koi and
Chubunkin fish have been "breathing hard" since. I immediatly

turned on
a water fall to aerate. But 4 hours afterward and I still have

heavy
breathing fish.

I took a sample of water to the LFS and it tested fine, but I was

told
to apply some water conditioner.

The LFS owner thinks I may have clorine poisoning, and that it is

just
inevitable that the fish will all die within a few days...

From the line break to the pond is about 1 foot, over dirt that

does not
get any poisons or fertilizer so I am pessimistic this is an issue.

am a bit surprised about the Clorine, although it is raining in LA,

as
the water was gushing out of a pipe and hitting oxygen before the

pond...

Anyone have any suggestions? Hate to loose the kids this way...

Carl

http://www.cobaltbluefilms.com

Apply the water conditioner (pond dechlorinator plus whatever extras
are standard for ponds) and hope for the best. I can tell you right
now that I am pretty sure mosquito fish can handle a significant
amount of chlorine (mosquito fish are the first successful fish I
have ever had) so if that killed them I don't hold out a ton of hope
for the koi. Sorry - I hope the conditioner works for you, good luck and
later!