Old 10-11-2005, 07:34 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

Default Blue Lake Beans

The message .com
from "La puce" contains these words:
Jaques d'Alltrades wrote:

I grew them again this year, but didn't notice such a variation
(but only
had 5 plants, so that may just have been a matter of chance). These 5
plants
yielded 2.8kg (which seems good to me, though I expect there'll
soon be a
chorus of responses asking how I managed such a poor yield!) -
still a few
to be picked, but I've more or less given up on them now, despite this
Indian summer!

It wasn't a good year for beans with me, either. I think I must have
grown three times as many on the same number of palnts as I did last
year.

I've done well on broadbeans this year )
I'm akshually really really happy because I have a 2sqm thick clay bit
at the end of my plot and for 2 years I had done nothing on it.

Ah. do a little something on it from time to time and it should become
very fertile.

Desperately at the last moment I had forked in lots and lots of manure
that my neighbour didn't want. I thought I would 'sacrifice' some broad
beans and the result was amazing. We eat them raw - and they were the
bestest I have ever eaten. I just wish my grand ma could have tasted
them. However, I won't do runner beans ever again. I had so many, so
stringy, so 'orrible - the flowers where very huge and were very
pretty, but the beans, even the young ones, were not to our taste.

Evidently you didn't get the good old Scarlet Emperor.

There's *NO* vegetable to compare with fresh runner beans.

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/