Old 11-11-2005, 11:18 AM
Jim

Default Old gasoline

"Steveo" wrote in message
(Tom Miller) wrote:
On Tue, 08 Nov 2005 01:57:59 GMT, "FDR"
wrote:

| I have a couple of gallons of old gasoline, probably at least a

year
| old. I suppose I could dispose of it properly, but I was wondering
| of it could be "revived" somehow or used instead?

Only two gallons of just one year old gas? Dump it into your car's gas
tank and get new gas for the mower. The gas is not that old in the
first place and there's not enough of it to cause a problem to your
auto in the second place. Please don't dump it on the ground or use it
for weed killer, as this is environmentally damaging. In my state,
it's illegal. People get caught and fined for doing it.

Exactly right!

Please -do not- dump fossil fuel on the ground, you can add that much to
your car tank and never notice a difference in performance.....if you dump
that much on the ground, you will kill everything in the soil that's close
by -and- some fish in your nearest body of water.

Use it up first next year you bogart!

Runoff of this can be a problem environmentally. If spreadout along a
fenceline, yes it kills everything for that growing season on that
fenceline. And much less likely to runoff if dumped in one location.
Typically the next growing season, the soil has recovered enough by breaking
down the gasoline to usable or benign components. 2 to 3 years, one would
think fertilizer was dropped there instead by growth appearances. Used
engine oil is similar. Would have second thoughts on synthetic oil or
petroleum based oil with additive product added to the oil by the consumer.

Dumping laws were directed at chemicals, oil products that were dumped with
no attention to the environment. A common invisible example is an
underground gasoline storage tank that has leaks due to age. The contents
get into the water table. The environmental laws apply to all. Even though
some conscientious individual could dispense a given amount of petroleum
waste without any immediate and subsequent impact except the location its
dumped. A gallon of "bad" gasoline doesn't go to far spread out on a
fenceline. Most of it evaporates.

--
Lil' Dave
Beware the rule quoters, the corp mindset, the Borg