Old 11-11-2005, 09:44 AM
Sacha

Default Plant naming question

On 11/11/05 9:32, in article , "Kay"
wrote:

In article , Sacha
writes

I have to say that most people are not too interested
in the etymology of plant names

I know they're not, but since the plant names are a reflection of the
relationship between plants as far as we understand them, they can tell
you a lot! I can't understand why some people feel even such basic
things as what family a plant is in is somehow difficult and reserved
only for those with great expertise.

I know this is something you're very good at, so I certainly don't want to
insult the crocodile. ;-) But we do find that while a lot of our customers
know the Latin names of plants, they're not at all bothered about
re-classifications and happily go on calling them whatever they've always
called them. I'd say that the majority of people use the common names of
plants - customers, that is - and that there are even some who think it
'snobbish' to use the Latin names. If I encounter people who think like
that, I usually point out that if everyone speaks the same language when
talking about plants, it's easier to find what they want for them! But not
caring what family a plant falls into is, I would suggest, because people
care more what they look like or how they'll do in that awkward shay corner
of their garden, than anything else.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk