Old 11-11-2005, 11:02 AM
Sue F

Default Corylus avellana contorta - making it multistemmed

Hi all,

I'm new to this group and am hoping for some group wisdom.

I've just got a corylus avellana contorta (purple version). I've read
that they're generally multistemmed, but mine isn't. It's currently
about 18" high with a single strong looking stem. Will it develop more
stems naturally? Or, can I prune it to the base to make it
multistemmed, and if so when is the best time to do this?

A neighbour has a single-stemmed one a few feet high, and to me it
looks a bit spindly so I'd like to encourage mine to branch out.

Thanks

Sue