Old 11-11-2005, 07:19 PM
Kenni Judd

Default Hurricane damage

BK -- Judgment call on both questions. First, be sure you have all the salt
rinsed out. We recommend a serious leeching (double or even triple the
normal amount of water) for plants exposed to salt water. After that, if
the plants look OK and are showing signs of new growth, then go ahead and
resume fertilizing. You might want to "ease into" it with the first couple
of applications being extra dilute.

Same idea about flowers. If the plants look good, go ahead and enjoy the
flowers. If the plants look stressed, or like they're struggling, then cut
the spikes as soon as you see them. A "compromise" would be to let the
flowers open, then cut the spikes and put them in water for display. Good
growing,
--
Kenni Judd
Juno Beach Orchids

"bk" wrote in message
We in Miami. Wilma can thru with a big salty spray followed by a 10-15
degree drop in temp. I've been watering, but wondering if I should
fertilize or hold off. Also wondering about flowers. If plants beging to
bloom, would it be best to cut the spikes to leesen stress on plants?