Old 11-11-2005, 04:37 PM
Dan Espen

Default Old gasoline

writes:

Joseph Meehan wrote:

Long boring story: I bought a 7 year old Corvair at one point; the
fancy kind with 4 carbs, two primaries and two secondaries. Only the
primaries had idle jets this early in production, and the secondaries
were on a progressive linkage, which meant that unless you floored it,
the gas did not flow through them, just sat and slowly evaporated out
of the float bowls. I guess whoever owned it did not drive very
energetically, as I discovered that both secondary fuel bowls were
absolutely and completely full of solid matter that could not be
removed with any amount of carb cleaner and manual labor, and the carbs
had to be junked. I wonder why the original owner went for the 4 carb
version in the first place?

Yep, what a waste.
That car was a lot of fun.
I had a Corvair convertible with the same setup.

I bought the kit that replaced the 4 carbs with
a center mounted Holly 4 barrel. Zoooom!