Old 11-11-2005, 02:57 PM
La puce

Default Plant naming question

Kay wrote:

That's what is so silly! Knowing where a plant a plant fits in to a
taxonomy gives you all sorts of clues as to what it looks like, what
conditions it will like, and so on. It's so much less of a burden on the
memory to remember the exceptions than remembering all these details for
each plant individually.

Indeed. Once you understand what the names are for and what they mean!
I dreaded it, we all did when we realised we had to learn at least 10
plants name/week. After one year, it became so easy. The latin I had
learn as a kid was useful, but especially the French! Now, we do a
weekly indent. of around 20 plants. Sometimes, I even surprise myself
but it is such an eye opener and something which will stay with me all
my life. This summer we travelled from Bilbao to Bordeaux and even my
kids join in trying their memory on the plants we met along the way. It
beats 'I spy with my little eye' game )