Old 11-11-2005, 05:36 PM
Sacha

Default Autumn leaves

On 11/11/05 16:08, in article , "Kay"
wrote:

In article , Sacha
writes

I'm sure Nick or David will be along to tell us - the autumn colour is
something to do with sugars, IIRC but I find it interesting that the ash
trees have lost their leaves, for example and the oaks and beeches are
holding on to them.

there's a big difference in the times when trees shed their leaves -
whitebeam shed a long time ago, mulberry (which is always very late to
come into leaf) is still in full leaf - though yellow up here. The
sycamores opposite hold on to their leaves much longer than the horse
chestnuts.

Yes but we can remember 5th November parties when all leaves had gone.
These days, they seem to hang on longer and longer! Our young mulberry tree
is in the same phase, BTW.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk