Old 11-11-2005, 05:40 PM
Sacha

Default Plant naming question

On 11/11/05 15:40, in article , "Kay"
wrote:

snip

I think it's also related to the other thing that puzzles me - how
(relatively) few gardeners have an interest in wild plants. After all, a
good proportion of our garden plants are simply the wild plants of
another country, and many of them are carefully bred good forms of our
own native plants. Knowledge of where the plant grows wild is a very
good indication of the care you need to give it in the garden.

Again, except for things like primroses, it probably doesn't occur to most
people. There is a yellow wild flower that looks like a yellow Crambe
cordifolia and another hedgerow plant here that is obviously an ancestor of
Eupatorium - that's just a couple that spring to mind. I don't know what
they're called but I've recently acquired a wildflower book so that next
year, I'll be prepared!
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk