Old 11-11-2005, 07:34 PM
Sacha

Default Plant naming question

On 11/11/05 17:54, in article , "Kay"
wrote:

In article , Sacha
writes
On 11/11/05 15:40, in article , "Kay"
wrote:

Again, except for things like primroses, it probably doesn't occur to most
people. There is a yellow wild flower that looks like a yellow Crambe
cordifolia and another hedgerow plant here that is obviously an ancestor of
Eupatorium

Eupatorium cannabinum - Hemp Agrimony

Well, there you are. I've heard of Hemp Agrimony but didn't know enough
to make the connection.

I didn't know there was a garden Eupatorium.

Oh yes, E. purpureum for a start - beloved of bees and butterflies,
smothered in them in fact.
- that's just a couple that spring to mind.

Just scanning through the index of my wild flower book gives Achillea,
Ajuga, Allium, Althaea, Angelica, Artemesia, Astrantia as genera which
are familiar in the garden as well - and that's just the a's (and not
even all the a's)

Have you ever thought of writing a book that makes the link - or leap if you
prefer - between what we find in hedges and what we have in gardens?
Personally, I'd be fascinated by that though one does not a market make!
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk