Old 11-11-2005, 07:41 PM
Sacha

Default Should I plant an apple tree?

On 11/11/05 18:00, in article , "Kay"
wrote:

In article om,
writes

Would this be a good idea? What kinds of apple trees would be best?
When do you plant apple trees?

While they're dormant, from now on.
But you need two apple trees, flowering at the same time, for fruit -
they don't self pollinate. You could risk there being a neighbour's
apple tree in flower at the same time as yours, but it's a risk. You can
get 'family trees' where more than one type of apple has been grafted on
to the same tree, but I'm not sure they're suitable for training as
espaliers.

My current favourites for taste are Cornish Aromatic, Herrings Pippin,
followed by Brownlees Russet and Allingtons Pippin, and Worcesters
straight off the tree.

Never having grown them but thinking of the OP's space, would any of the
smaller trees like 'Ballerina' - if I have that right - be a suitable choice
for her? In some gardening programme a long time ago, I seem to remember
someone advocating apple plants that were no bigger than Fuchsias, I think.
Anyone?
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk