Old 12-11-2005, 12:24 AM
Vox Humana

Default Anybody recognize this woody perennial?

wrote in message
oups.com...
I'd be relieved if I didn't plant it; I'd like to think I'm not
slipping so much that I have no idea what I've planted in my garden. It
might have been a volunteer, although I am in an inner-city area. It
established itself quite well in a short time, so your warning will be
taken seriously.

The stuff pops up here and there. I have gotten it substantially under
control by preventing it from going to seed. I also keep the shoots cut off
as they emerge. Eventually it dies. I'm sure the birds bring in more seeds
and that keep it coming back. I have a wooded ravine adjacent to my property
as I did where I lived previously. Both areas had the common variety of
pokeweed. It has its charms, but I'm afraid that I would be overrun with
the stuff if I didn't keep after it.

It is possible that someone in your area planted the variegated version and
that it volunteered in your yard. After I posted last time I did a search
and found that it is available from places like Plant Delights. The ad copy
says that "most of the seedlings will be variegated." Therefore it DOES
self-seed. Variegated plants are often not as vigorous as the plain
versions. Still, from what you describe, it has grown very fast. If you do
a search on "Pokeweed control" you will see that it isn't the easiest thing
to get rid of.

You can see information on human poisoning he
http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/e...cle/002874.htm

There is probably very little danger of poising, but it never hurts to know
about it.