Old 11-11-2005, 10:32 PM
Steve

Default Dendrobium - cut back?

Shayne wrote:

My Dendrobium has just finished flowering. should I cut back the flower
stalks? Do I just keep it as normal until it flowers again or should I do
something especial?
I am in the UK, heading into winter, but the house is centrally heated.

The answer is yes unless you are thinking the entire pseudobulb (cane)
is the flower stalk, in which case the answer is no.
You can't go too far wrong with the rule "if it's alive, don't cut it
off". This rule works for roots, leaves, pseudobulbs, and even flower
stalks.
As far as what to do with the plant, there are several kinds of
Dendrobiums with growing methods that are quite different in some cases.
If you have the full name of your Dendrobium, then someone here (maybe
even me) can probably give you a good answer.

Steve