Old 12-11-2005, 12:31 PM
Stewart Robert Hinsley

Default Plant naming question

In message , Janet Tweedy
writes
In article , Jaques
d'Alltrades writes
The message k
from Sacha contains these words:

But we do find that while a lot of our customers
know the Latin names of plants, they're not at all bothered about
re-classifications and happily go on calling them whatever they've always
called them.

I always still think of the mushroom family as Psalliota - most of the
specific names are the same, though adjusted for gender - Psalliota
xanthoderma - Agaricus xanthodermus; Psalliota porphyrea - Agaricus
porphyrocephalus; Psalliota vaporarius - Agaricus vaporaria (etc)

But sometimes even more widely adjusted:

Psalliota rodmanii - Agaricus bitorquis; Psalliota amathystina -
Agaricus semotus; (etc)

Goodness not just "button" or "flat" then?

What sort of link does Psalliota have with porphyrea? Cause it, heal it
or resemble it?

Janet

The disease is porphyria. The root is the Greek porphura, meaning
purple, from, IIRC, the colour of the skin in sufferers. Porphyrea is
the Botanical Latin derivation from the same root, presumably also
meaning purple. So, I assume, the link is the colour purple.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley