Old 12-11-2005, 03:46 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

Default Plant naming question

The message
from Janet Tweedy contains these words:
In article , Jaques
d'Alltrades writes
The message k
from Sacha contains these words:

But we do find that while a lot of our customers
know the Latin names of plants, they're not at all bothered about
re-classifications and happily go on calling them whatever they've always
called them.

I always still think of the mushroom family as Psalliota - most of the
specific names are the same, though adjusted for gender - Psalliota
xanthoderma - Agaricus xanthodermus; Psalliota porphyrea - Agaricus
porphyrocephalus; Psalliota vaporarius - Agaricus vaporaria (etc)

But sometimes even more widely adjusted:

Psalliota rodmanii - Agaricus bitorquis; Psalliota amathystina -
Agaricus semotus; (etc)

Goodness not just "button" or "flat" then?

What sort of link does Psalliota have with porphyrea? Cause it, heal it
or resemble it?

Comes from the Greek for 'purple'.

--
Rusty