Old 12-11-2005, 06:24 PM
Janet Baraclough

Default Corylus avellana contorta - making it multistemmed

The message .com
from "Sue F" contains these words:

Hi all,

I'm new to this group and am hoping for some group wisdom.

I've just got a corylus avellana contorta (purple version).

Are you sure? (I mean, did it have contorted puprple leaves when you
bought it). I thought the contorted hazel was always green. Don't
recall ever seeing a purple one.

I've read
that they're generally multistemmed, but mine isn't. It's currently
about 18" high with a single strong looking stem. Will it develop more
stems naturally?

Hazels usually start off as a single stem, and the base and
rootstock sucker later , once the plant has established a good root
system.

Janet