Old 12-11-2005, 07:49 PM
Richard Brooks

Default [OT] What Amazon doesn't want you to know.

Margaret Shiels wrote:
Gentle uk.rec.gardening reader,

First, my apology for cross-posting to this NG. Be assured that this is
a one-off. It will never happen again.

My sole purpose is to draw your attention to what I believe are dubious
practices by Amazon.co.uk. I also believe that at stake here is freedom
of expression.

Amazon have rejected my reader review of a novel by John McGahern. In
the UK and Ireland it was published under the title, "That They May Face
The Rising Sun". In the USA and elsewhere it's entitled simply "The Lake".

[snipped]

I didn't have to guess that it was not positive, light and worthy of
being prose in a Hallmark card!

The same happened to me when I bought one of the Geoff Hamilton garden
design programs which was a re-cobbling of a previous version and
whatever anyone in the shops say, it's an American production that
"piles 'em high and cheap".

I was disappointed in the program and the final part where I stated that
Geoff Hamilton's estate should think about endorsing any future
versions, were cut.

Richard.