Old 12-11-2005, 09:21 PM
madgardener

Default What's the name of this flower?

"David Ellis" wrote in message
Stephen Henning wrote:
David Ellis wrote:

Could someone please tell me the popular name of this flower, living in
the foothills of the Sierra Nevada, Northern California?

http://ellisisle.com/gallery_4/view_pages/img_2258.htm

It is probably a member of the Compositae, a family which includes
daisies and sunflowers, one of the largest families of flowering plants
with some 25,000 species (roughly 10% of the total number of flowering
plants). Without a look at the leaves identification is totally
impossible.

As a wild guess look up Wyethia (Mules Ears or Mulesear):

http://www.cwnp.org/photopgs/wdoc/wyamplexicaulis.html
http://www.pbase.com/image/29523326
http://www.cnrhome.uidaho.edu/default.aspx?pid=75012
http://extension.usu.edu/rangeplants/forbs/mulesear.htm
http://elib.cs.berkeley.edu/photos/b...t_com_342.html

Your thoughtful and generous reply has got this plant-identification
neophyte off to a good start. Thank you.

there are some of us who make good efforts to answer valid questions. the
dry wit isn't always appreciated :P composite flowers are my absolute
favorites if I had to choose......
madgardener (I loved the links, Stephen!)