Old 12-11-2005, 11:13 PM
Kenni Judd

Default Couple of beginner questions

Ray: I don't think loss of the velamen coating necessarily means the root
itself is dead. Mostly in the vandas (since those are the roots I see most
of), I have noticed that sometimes very dead-looking roots, even just the
bare "wires," will start to grow new velamen and growing tips.

Kenni

"Ray" wrote in message
. ..
I may be wrong (I don't think so, but you never know), but if the root has
lost its fleshy part, and all you're left with is the "wiry core", they
are
not "OK", but certainly are "less healthy", they're dead!

They might function to provide a mechanical anchor when repotting, but
they
do nothing as far as absorbing water or nutrition for the plant.